We are a congregation committed to God’s wonderful Word and Worship, serving our risen Lord and one another from the perspective of the Doctrines of Sovereign Grace in the Presbyterian and Reformed heritage.
Westminster OPC started in Mid Way City in the early 1950s as a mission work of Faith Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Long Beach. The Lord blessed these outreach efforts, and the church was organized as a particular church of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church in May of 1955.
The first pastor Robert Morris served for less than a year before returning to teach in Christian high school. Since then the church has enjoyed the long ministries of three pastors: Edwards E. Elliott (1956 – 1979), William E. Warren (1980 – 2002), and William J. Gorrell (2003 – 2022). There have also been a number of associate pastors in connection with the church’s efforts to start other mission works.
Our goal and purpose can be summed up in the motto of one of our congregations, “Preaching all of God’s Word; sharing all of Christ’s love.”
As a congregation the church has sought to be faithful to the Great Commission in supporting the spread of the Gospel and the planting of other like-minded Orthodox Presbyterian congregations in our region, across North America, and in sending foreign missionaries to other countries. Being part of the Presbytery of Southern California (which includes Arizona and Hawaii) involves the church in the life and ministry of some 30 other OPC churches and mission works in these three states. The church currently hosts a mission work among the Vietnamese-speaking people of Orange County called Resurrection OPC.
The OPC was born out of a mind for mission work, both at home and abroad. Carrying the whole truth of Scripture to the ends of the earth has been of singular importance to Orthodox Presbyterians.
From 1955 to 1998 the church met in a building that it built on Trask Avenue, near the corner of Brookhurst Street in Garden Grove. In 1998, having out-grown the building, the church relocated to its present location in the City of Westminster at Cunningham and Brookhurst and changed its name from Garden Grove OPC to Westminster OPC.
Supporting Christian Education for the children of this church and other Bible believing Christian families has been an important part of the church’s ministries since the early 1980s. Covenant Christian Academy is located on the church campus and provides K-8 instruction in all subjects for the children of committed Christian families.